Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Joy of Cooking

Let me be clear. I usually find no joy in cooking. In fact, I pretty much have a general distaste for all things kitchen related... ummm, except for eating! But that's another blog post.

The Bible speaks of Mary and Martha. Martha was the happy homemaker, while Mary didn't want to miss any of the fellowship. I am without a doubt Mary!

I simply can't stand being stuck in the kitchen while fun is going on elsewhere. It's just so lonely.

A few years ago, when we built our own house, we designed it with a keeping room. The kitchen and family room were one room so, while I was cooking, I was still in the middle of all the action. Aces! Well, not so much! Do you know how hard it is to relax when you have a sinkful of dishes in full view? Yeah, sometimes there is something to be said for a kitchen with those swinging doors.

But my hatred for the kitchen isn't all about my need for socialization.

I do love cooking a nourishing meal for my family. I realize that's a gift of love. However, they don't usually enjoy eating it. I'm not such a good cook, is all I'm saying.

But my kitchen is changing.. and I think I like it more.

The change is simple. I now have helpers.

Tonight we made fajitas, and the kitchen was a veritable party!

Bird prepared all the vegetables, because truly, he is the most talented with a knife. After they were sliced, Bear sauteed them, using a variety of secret seasonings. I prepared the chicken and the beef, which required the amazing skill of opening pouches.

Now one should know that the actual utilitarian portion of my kitchen is quite small, and just in case it isn't small enough, we have a portable dishwasher sitting in the middle of it. Sure, when not washing dishes, it likes to pretend it's a fancy island, but truly, it's just a huge obstacle; an obstacle made all the more challenging when you add 2 young men, both over six feet tall, and not very specific where they step.

Bird flitted about the kitchen barking orders and letting us all know that we were inferior cooks in his own special way. Yes, he's the little brother, and this could be simply him living up to that title, but I think I have to defer to him. He watches Alton Brown.

At one point, each of us were working on a different burner on our 4 burner stove, so it was crowded, and it was hot... and it was So. Much. Fun!

I absolutely don't mind cooking, when my boys are in there with me! I might even become a good cook. Bird is giving me lessons!

Oh, and to the girls that will someday become my daughters in love.... You're welcome!

2 comments:

Kahri said...

YAY for cooking with your kids! I love cooking with my kids too. :-) And YAY for getting the boys ready to spoil their future wives. :-)

Amelia Antwiler said...

My Professor has more patience in the kitchen with our Laundry Lot. One day, I can totally see us enjoying a moment such as this.

And we used to have a rollaround dishwasher. ;-) Feel your pain there.