Thursday, September 28, 2006

So much for ripping that band-aid off fast!

This morning we were scheduled to go have Dillon's root canals.

I'm sure there is absolutely no greater morning greeting to a ten year old boy than to sweetly whisper in his ear, "Wake up, sweetie.. It's time to go get your root canals."

The 10 year old boy summons all the saracsm the morning will allow, looks at me with his sleepy green eyes and says "you realize I'm in no way looking forward to this!".

Neither was his daddy. "Any chance they will cancel on us!"

"Nope... the appointments already been confirmed. We're going and getting it over with. In no time, we will have this whole dental drama behind us. It's like pulling off a band-aid... Just do it so you can quit thinking about it. Now everyone get dressed!"

Everyone got dressed and we headed to this dentist whom we had never met before.

First problem: We were told we would not be able to accompany the 10 year old boy to the back office where he would have major dental work done by a dentist we had never met before (did I mention that?)

Why was this such a problem?

Two reasons... one mine and one Jim's.

My reason - when I was a little girl I was ushered into the back offices to have my teeth cleaned by one of the most evil dentists in all of dentistry. I'm fairly certain Sir Lawrence Olivier used this particular dentist as his inspriration for his portrayal of the Nazi dentist in Marathon Man. Any way, this dentist asked me not to gag.. but as reflexes go, I didn't have a whole lot of control over that. Gag, I did... and then SLAP! Right across the face. My face. Because I gagged. I've not been a big fan of dentists since then. So I will be with my children at all times.. just in case a gag reflex causes another slap reflex.. or something worse.

Jim's reason - Simple. He promised Dillon he would be with him. And Jim does not, will not, not now, not ever, break a promise to either of his boys!

We explained our side of the story and told them that while we were sure most children did do much better without their parents in the room, this was not most children.. this was in fact our child.. Unique is many different ways. It was not long before they let Jim take his place beside the young patient who had already been x-rayed and given a good dose of laughing gas. At least someone was laughing.

Jim met the dentist and they had a good talk. The dentist told Jim if he were the dad he would feel the same way and that Jim was welcome to stay. But by then, there was no point.. there would be no root canal. The teeth simply were not ready. Doc wants them to have some more time to implant back in the gums.. like 6 to 8 weeks worth of time.

So, we go back at the end of November to check and see how stable the teeth are. And Dillon gets to continue to "look forward" to the dentist visit and Jim and I get to continue to see his chipped teeth that take us back to that night and how we wished we had the power to turn back time and make things all right again.

As I said.. so much for ripping that band-aid off fast.

The dental drama continues.....

2 comments:

Peculiar Blogs said...

ACK! I am so sorry!! I had HUGE issues in Bartlesville trying to be allowed into the room with Britty when she had to go to a dentist. We moved down here and I found our current dentist - Raj Patel - and he said "OF COURSE" you want to be with your child. I almost cried, I was so happy!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you were actually slapped by your dentist! As a kid, Dr. Freer, the old school bad breathed dentist, would never give us novicane (sp?) - we just needed to tough it out. And, yes, he actually did talk about fishing and ask tons of questions while all mish-mash was in my mouth. Ah, memories! And now I'm married to an orthodontists daughter... at least he doesn't do any drilling.

Sorry to hear the band-aid is coming off so slow!