Sunday, November 27, 2005

FOR PETE'S SAKE......

We interrupt the silence of this blog to step on the old soap box and rant...

It seems that Tom Cruise has bought an ultrasound machine for his betrothed who is also with child. I'm wondering how often he plans to look at the little bambino.. (and I wonder how much water Miss Katie is going to have to drink daily to fill her bladder up for a better view!) Hey, I'm as sentimental as the next gal.. really! I have my ultrasound pictures framed of my two babies and I've watched the video over and over... but I've also spent nights walking the floors with them as the suffered through ear infection after ear infection. Studies now suggest that those ultrasounds may not be as harmless as we once thought, and there is some evidence that links repeated ultrasounds to repeated ear infections.

We once thought X-rays were harmless. There was even a time when one would have their feet x-rayed when they tried on a new pair of shoes to make sure all the bones fit well in the shoe... that was until Madame Curie died of x-ray induced leukemia and we had to rethink the safety of that machine.

Sure both x-rays and ultrasounds have immense benefits that can outweigh the risks... but I don't think is in any way smart to subject tiny developing tissues to ultrasonic soundwaves just so Tom and Katie can have a look whenever the mood strikes them.

But then again, I don't know the entire history of psychology... but Tom does! Ask Matt Lauer!